“A dimly lit shadowy figure fades into focus. Old coffee cups and piles of paper are seen in the background. A family photo is seen over the figure’s right shoulder and you are certain you know one of the people in the photo. As the main character begins to speak, there is a distinct buzzing in the background and after 5 minutes, you can stand it no longer; you close the window to the webcast.”
Poor production can ruin even the most interesting presentation before it starts. Engaging speakers, excellent content and the perfect layout are no match for poor lighting and bad audio. Here are 5 simple and effective ways to improve the professionalism of your webcasts.
- Remove the clutter – Create a clean set with minimal distraction. No pictures, coffee cups, photographs of loved ones or outside windows. Don’t let the audience’s eye wander to anything but the speaker.
- Clothing – Muted colors are best with no patterns. Patterns can pixilate and create strange lines with lower resolutions. Solid earth tones are best, keeping away from the bright reds, oranges and yellows.
- Proper Mics – Use a lapel microphone if at all possible, they are available at your local electronics shop and will improve your audio greatly. Be aware to mount the mic properly if your presenter likes to move around, keep it from scratching against clothing or other objects. Please also remember to hide the wire!!
- Lighting – You can really go crazy here, but for the general audience make sure there are minimal shadows. You can start by learning to use a basic 3-point lighting kit and try not to wash out the presenter with too much light. A bit of makeup will remove the shiny spots on the forehead and cheeks.
- Studio – Use a studio if the presentation is an important one. The lighting, cameras and audio truly make a difference in the final product. The depth of the picture, the sound of the presenter and the look of the set all add to an engaging, compelling presentation.
Using even a few of the above pointers will greatly improve the look and feel of your next presentation. Video on the web is getting better and better with the improvements in editing and technology. Spending a little money and time will add great benefit to your final product.
With Xyvid Pro and our team of Production Specialists we can take your webcast from good to great. Whether it be in a small office or a large production studio, our team is there to help plan, execute and produce your event.